Submitted at the last second, here's another "on-time" edition of WUwW!
Here we go, rapid-fire, a summary of last week's tweets!
- After customizing a weapon w/ cubes, you go back and edit.
- Weapons will be limited for number of cubes added, but will have a 'color picker'.
- Weapon Rarity uses stars: 0 = Normal, 1 = Magic, 2 = Rare, 3 = Epic, 4 = Legendary.
- Weapons don't degrade (no durability system).
- Loot is currently 'free-for-all', but will later have some kind of 'need/greed' system.
- Some biomes have creature strengths; deserts & jungles = strong, lavalands = very strong.
- There are approximately 100 unique creatures.
- Some creatures have fixed level ranges: Rabbits 1-3, Ogres 8-10, etc.
- Dungeon enemies respawn (and you respawn at the 2nd closest spawn point/"Shrine"/statue).
- If you run away, enemies will chase you for ~30 seconds before giving up.
- Offline singleplayer or privately-hosted multiplayer.
- You can hide the heads-up display.
- "There's no level cap, but you can't become infinitely strong."
- He's currently working on file formats and optimization.
- He's also "starting to prepare" the game for its eventual release.
- He's finishing up a 'non-public test build'.
- The game will probably keep the name Cube World.
Soon, my brethren, we shall ride together! How soon? Well, y'know, who knows. But...soon. Maybe.
Hey folks, been a long time since we’ve talked!
Well, no, that’s not true, we probably spoke recently. Point is, we haven’t had a WUwW post in over three months, and that’s borderline crazy pills. This one’s going to work just a little different in the interest of time: I won’t be including the original tweets. What I can do is comb through every tweet since the last WUwW, and highlight everything important. That sound okay? Good, great. Strap in, ‘cause all this info might blast a few blocks off your headcube.
- There are ~700 weapon variations and ~500 armor variations.
- You receive wood blocks by destroying bushes, which add ranged weapon damage. This includes a Mage’s staff, increasing its damage and healing power.
- There are random missions generated daily, depicted on the map by crossed swords. They ‘give nice rewards’, and can involve clearing dungeons or defeating bosses. Rewards include a random item and platinum coins that are used for upgrading equipment.
- You get 2 skill points each time you level up.
- 5 points in a skill unlocks the next one.
- You can disable XP gain.
Travel & Pets
- Larger Ships and Airships may appear in a later update.
- Mounts require water; depicted by drops; refilled at ‘rivers’ and possibly other sources.
- There’s a Barkbeetle pet / mount.
- Pets respawn after ‘some time’.
- The game requires 700MB of RAM at full settings.
- A GTX 580 graphics card runs the game at 170fps.
- Private LAN servers work. The server app is Windows-based; there will be a Linux port.
- A Mac port is likely; a console port might happen, but nothing is planned.
- Game can be played fullscreen or in a window; will likely have windowed fullscreen.
- Wollay might experiment with the Oculus Rift.
- A colorblind option might be added later.
- There’s no benefit to using different races.
- You respawn at the second-nearest spawn point.
- Oceans have underwater caves; lakes will also have them eventually.
- Diving underwater currently doesn’t require oxygen, but might later.
- Weather may be added at some point.
- The game can technically be played first-person.
Remember the ‘(& More!)’ in the title? That’s this here dangly part at the bottom. I was going to make a separate news post for this, but we may as well thicken this post like a molasses paper jam. Here are some really interesting things hidden in Wollay’s blog comments:
Controls (Can Be Changed)
- Abilities can be used with left and right mouse button and keys 1,2,3,4,5.
- Q is the quick item.
- TAB opens the ring menu for quick item selection.
- E is for interaction. (opening doors, picking up items)
- F activates the lamp.
- G activates the special item. (e.g., hang glider)
- Movement is WASD.
- Roll is middle mouse button together with WASD.
- Shift is for sprinting.
- Control is for climbing.
- A fan asked, “Why don't you do what Mojang did with Minecraft, and release it cheap in Alpha, and get feedback and then update to beta and subsequently; the full version. It would make a lot of fans happy."
Wollay replied, “My plan is to do that.”
- “A weapon that is upgraded with more than 16 spirits of one type gets the name of that spirit. In this case an iron sword is upgraded with 32 ice spirits, so it becomes an "ice iron sword".”
Climate – Temperature & Humidity?
- “Yes, it will effect flora, fauna, monsters, NPCs.
- The next class will likely be a Paladin.
- “…there will be regular updates with new content and features like new playable races, classes etc.”
A few more:
There we go! One good ol' fashioned WUwW post. =)
Until next time, everyone...stick around the forum and keep on asking...what's up with Wollay?
Cube World: Explorers
It seems to be that time of year again folks, where we will get a video from Wollay, and then wait six months for another one (Maybe it will be different this time?), but we might as well enjoy it while it lasts!
In this video we get to see a few things we haven't before, such as:
- Boats- Wollay shows off a nicely constructed wooden boat.
- Crafting- We've heard much of it, but until now haven't really seen it.
- Mages- We haven't seen all to much on mages, but the latest spells are looking even better than before!
- Mounts- We get to see a cool camel (?) to ride on our adventures!
- We need 5 points to unlock a skill, and get 2 each level
- Wollay favors magic spirit cubes with effects like healing or fire
- Local Servers!
- Random Daily Missions
- Platinum coins to upgrade equipment
- Wants to implement Oculus Rift support eventually
A beam of light in the sky oh so dark. It has been one month since we have had some big news and now... We have something even bigger! In the past year we have seen so much and been so excited, but a year has worn us down and our hope might be fading away. Some of us have even said they were going to migrate the forum until the game is released. Well I have news for you. Wollay has proclaimed in a Tweet that a game demo will be created! Although some people may argue that he does not specify WHEN the demo will be released, at least we have solid evidence there will be one! I, myself, am extremely ecstatic!
This does pose some questions though...
- Who will be eligible for the demo?
- When will the demo be released?
- What content will be available?
Hello everyone! Welcome to a monumental day in CubeWorldForum history!
We’ve undergone several major changes, both back-end and front-end. Like the Ship of Theseus, we don’t even know if we’re the same forum anymore (hint: we are). Anyway, after a year of experience we’ve leveled up, so let’s check out what stats we’ve improved:
This is the big change on the back-end. Our forum software was rather outdated, so we made a big leap forward by upgrading to the latest version. Much of it doesn’t affect your everyday use of the forum, so don’t worry too much about it. Just know that our castle walls have been reinforced, and the decorations have been moved around ever-so-slightly.
As you probably noticed before this announcement, we have a new theme! The default is now set to Winter, but you can always change it back (at the bottom of the page) if you don’t like it. The Summer theme isn’t yet adjusted to match, so it’ll be undergoing adjustments for consistency. Meanwhile, hopefully you’ll continue to enjoy our fresh new Winter theme!
Something new we’ll experimenting with starting today: Awards! The details are still being fleshed out, but none of them will be rewarded for something quantitative. That is, awards will be for high quality, not high frequency. They’re going to be handed out manually, so there are no objective criteria for them. If you feel someone has satisfied the criteria for an award, you can suggest one on another member’s profile, but…please, serious suggestions only. We’re looking forward to handing a few out!
That’s right, our wiki is officially back! With the help of you, our passionate crew of cubic comrades, we will have the best source of Cube World information on the ‘net. A few of us on-staff have already begun filling it in with basic entries, but we still have nearly 200 that need your help. Why not pick one and handcraft it into your very own amazing article?
Actually, there aren’t new rules so much as new wording. The Community Guidelines have been adjusted to be more readable, so that new members are more willing to actually read them. Even if you’ve been here for a year, they’re worth briefly reviewing. tl;dr: Common sense prevails as usual.
Lastly, we have two new Administrators.
- First, a long-standing vigilant wielder of the Modhammer who will surely ‘measure up’ to the job: qbicfeet!
- Second, a frontpage Wollay-wordsmith and IRC vanguard who apparently lost the vowels in his username: ShdwFlm!
Now, I could be bias, but these two sound like very upstanding gentlemen with only your best interests at heart. Best of luck to the two of you with whatever foolishness you get yourselves into! Careful for the hands on that Matthew fellow, they get into all sorts of trouble.
And with that, we conclude the summary of forum updates! =) We know that Wollay is planning on starting his own forum, but we hope that many of you will stay here. We want this to be your home for Cube World, and that’s why we’ll continue to work on updates like this. Thanks for being a part of the CubeWorldForum family.
- The CWF Staff
Remember this banner? We haven’t needed it for about 4 months,
but this is truly a week worthy of a What’s Up with Wollay update.
We’ve got a staggering 34+ tweets to summarize, so let’s get...
...wait, what, really? Wollay’s tweeting right now? Let's go!
Things We Learned or Reconfirmed
Gameplay & General
Clouds can’t be walked on…though it’s implied it may not always be that way.
Quests are still out for now, until Wollay can ‘maximize fun without them’.
Pets are sometimes mountable, and there will be no air mounts.
Stamina is used in 1/4 increments to dodge; it’s also slowly used to climb & hangglide; the bar is hidden when full.
Armor will sometimes influence Stamina regeneration, which takes 10 seconds to charge by default.
Items at higher levels will look different than low-level equipment.
Customization of your character involves choosing hair/face presets.
Weapons you can’t use can still be traded.
Vampires are enemies only.
Classes, Skills, and Leveling
Classes won’t be combined, but more classes will be added in the future.
Skills will be put into Skill Trees before release.
Specializations will have their own Skill Trees, with “passive and active abilities, similar to WoW (before Pandaria). :)”
Leveling currently has no limit, but it does slow down; a level cap is being considered.
Servers, Graphics, and Updates
Website is still unfinished; he has been focusing on the game because it’s “more fun than website programming.”
Graphics will generally require a ‘game-friendly graphics card’, and are rendered with triangle meshes.
Mods, Plugins, and Map Editors are not planned.
Servers can be online 24/7, but hosting 4-5 players in Co-Op; more for PvP is being looked into.
Servers will be run from a “console application. The admin can send commands to it from the client.”
Windows versions should run on XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
Mac version will be ported from the PC version sometime after release.
Updates are planned to be regular, featuring “bug fixes, new content, class changes etc.”
Video of the game’s progress is planned for when more sound effects and ability icons are added.
Congratulations to kbasten, qbicfeet, and DrZudsi for having their questions answered!
That's the rundown for this week, everyone. We'll see you again next time we ask What's Up with Wollay?!
- - -
Changes to Our Home
The forum is currently undergoing numerous updates by the staff. This includes changes you may have already noticed, like tweaked CSS code and new userbars. Behind the scenes, there are big things on the horizon…the biggest changes since the forum started. Stick around and keep an eye out for the eventual announcement.