Shrinking To-Do List
- “…there are just minor features missing for a release. :) A start screen, need to fix something with spirits, require fire for cooking, require trainer for changing specialization, some multiplayer settings... that kind of things.”
- “Today I'm adjusting spirits (droprate and level). Then I still need to fix some other things and add a start screen.”
- “Just fixed something on the website and want to finish the starting screen today.”
- “I’ve just added some icons and now I’m improving the weapon customization interface.”
- “Still want to add boss battle music and some food recipes. Also the installer requires some work. Then I'll be running a closed test with a few people for a few days, to make sure everything is working (installation, auto-updater etc.).”
- The demo will be based on the alpha, just with some missing features and a fixed, finite world.
- The demo isn't ready yet, but he’s planning to release it before or together with the alpha. (probably before)
- Buying in alpha will give you the beta & the full game.
- Alpha: Portals to teleport between; Combos lower armor/resistance; Goblins are playable; Tons of boss variations; 4-Player MP; Cows & pigs; Sapphire; Gnobolds; Biters.
- Planned: Other playable races like Gnolls; Pet evolution; Rare pets; Artifacts; Race-specific headgear; Vanity items; Experimental massive multiplayer.
- Size of the game will probably be less than 200 MB.
- RAM use is currently less than 1GB.
- Worlds will automatically change if there’s an update.
- You can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.
- Wollay plans to post the majority of new info on the site; he’s also planning a forum. (mostly for feedback)
- He’s going to extend the comments system on his site more and more over time with things like profiles, PMs, and so on.
- Dwarves have a smaller collision box.
- All dwarves have red noses; beards change with hairstyle.
- Humans currently have the most customization: 6 faces and 15 hairstyles.
- Read a full article on how Warriors work.
- Mages have a mana shield. I haven't shown it directly, but the lizardman mage in the explorers video is using the mana shield.
- There might be a Druid-style class in the future. (no concrete plans)
- Paladins, if (when?) they’re added, might have lances as a weapon choice.
- Pirates are a class idea that Wollay likes.
- The “Weapon Skills: Ranger” post should be “next week”.
- Hornets are tamable.
- Water mounts aren’t currently planned. (sorry, Crocodiles!)
- 'Signature' armor sets are planned. (Troll Armor, Saurian Armor, etc.) “Maybe weapons too.”
- Different weapons change what left-click & right-click do.
- Rare weapons are good enough that you can use them for “a few levels”.
- Each weapon can be upgraded once to your current level. (with platinum coins from missions)
- If armor customization happens, it might start with shoulder armor.
- A quiver will appear on your back if you’re using a bow/crossbow; they’ll likely be equippable in the future.
- Stats in the game: damage, armor, resistance, crit, haste, regeneration.
- Two characters can have the same name in multiplayer.
- No hunger, but buffs that are refreshed by eating food are planned.
- You can skip the night using beds at Inns.
- If you run away from a monster and come back to fight, it will be at full health.
- Mobs (and especially bosses) have a very high probability to drop rare items.
- There will probably be hostile cities in the future, essentially “overworld dungeons”.
- Certain enemies are strong against magic/physical attacks due to resistance/armor.
- Underwater movement is slower, but the swimming skill improves swimming and diving speed.
- Currently you can't drown, and Wollay’s not sure if he should change that.
- Normal areas are named “Lands of <NAME>”; special areas are named “<NAME><GEOGRAPHY>”.
- Aggro is proportional to damage and melees produce more aggro than ranged classes. Warriors with shields and guardians generate even more aggro.
- When you miss an attack, you lose all combo points and thus deal less damage.
- A charged attack goes off even when you don't (have mana). That way you can deal damage with it even (without mana).
- - - - -
Congratulations to Yellowlord & Dwalus for having questions answered by Wollay!
Special Thanks to SpringDay, Stefan46664, and BlueTiger6001 for helping to summarize Wollay’s comments!
“I'm working on the website. Hope to launch it soon. :)”
Frogmen were confirmed as a playable race, with interchangeable eyes instead of hair.
Crocodiles were added as a new mountable pet. Speculation: They might travel on water?
Shurikens are now a usable thrown weapon for Ninjas, one of the two Rogue specializations.
Oi! Tweets! Summarized!
- Game balance, not performance, is what currently limits multiplayer.
- PVP will have more players, and multiple gameplay modes/layouts.
- The “Alpha” might only feature basic PVP.
- Spirit Cubes come from bosses, and are currently Unholy, Ice, Fire and Wind. (+ more later!)
- Sleep sets the time to 6AM, and the main benefit is new daily missions.
- All pets will be available to all classes/races, and there will be wolves.
- Time passes at 10x realtime, meaning an ‘hour’ takes 6 minutes.
- Clouds don’t move, but they might in the future.
- Various console commands include /name, /namepet, and /connect.
- Map features will regenerate after 3 days, and this can’t be disabled.
- Coding & math drive the animation.
- Modding Support isn’t planned.
- Possible future classes, in order of implied likelihood: Paladin, Druid, Warlock.
- Houses will probably have storage chests.
- Barbers will allow character hair changes.
Congrats to DrZudsi, Jaypay, Rudepick, MalixLeon, and...our community, @CubeWorldForum, for having questions answered! =)
Heya folks! Nice to see you again. Third week in a row, is it? My, we've got a good thing going on! =)
To mix it up a bit, this week's tweets will be summarized by things you can or can't do in Cube World:
...name areas of the world.
...loot a chest multiple times.
...customize non-weapon items.
...fly through the clouds.
...add armor to some pets.
...practice on training Dummies.
...hold the bow in either hand (soon).
...just wait for pets to respawn next to you.
...play with 3-4 friends in multiplayer server.
...change your specialization and talents for gold.
...probably buy some Cube World merchandise (eventually).
...run the game with at least a Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, and an NVIDIA/ATI graphics card.
Nothing major this week, but nice info nonetheless. As a bonus, we also got two pictures!
Well there we go! Another active week of tweets. Could this mean the game is finally coming soon?
...at this point, I'm just glad we can regularly answer "What's Up with Wollay?"!
Submitted at the last second, here's another "on-time" edition of WUwW!
Here we go, rapid-fire, a summary of last week's tweets!
- After customizing a weapon w/ cubes, you go back and edit.
- Weapons will be limited for number of cubes added, but will have a 'color picker'.
- Weapon Rarity uses stars: 0 = Normal, 1 = Magic, 2 = Rare, 3 = Epic, 4 = Legendary.
- Weapons don't degrade (no durability system).
- Loot is currently 'free-for-all', but will later have some kind of 'need/greed' system.
- Some biomes have creature strengths; deserts & jungles = strong, lavalands = very strong.
- There are approximately 100 unique creatures.
- Some creatures have fixed level ranges: Rabbits 1-3, Ogres 8-10, etc.
- Dungeon enemies respawn (and you respawn at the 2nd closest spawn point/"Shrine"/statue).
- If you run away, enemies will chase you for ~30 seconds before giving up.
- Offline singleplayer or privately-hosted multiplayer.
- You can hide the heads-up display.
- "There's no level cap, but you can't become infinitely strong."
- He's currently working on file formats and optimization.
- He's also "starting to prepare" the game for its eventual release.
- He's finishing up a 'non-public test build'.
- The game will probably keep the name Cube World.
Soon, my brethren, we shall ride together! How soon? Well, y'know, who knows. But...soon. Maybe.
Hey folks, been a long time since we’ve talked!
Well, no, that’s not true, we probably spoke recently. Point is, we haven’t had a WUwW post in over three months, and that’s borderline crazy pills. This one’s going to work just a little different in the interest of time: I won’t be including the original tweets. What I can do is comb through every tweet since the last WUwW, and highlight everything important. That sound okay? Good, great. Strap in, ‘cause all this info might blast a few blocks off your headcube.
- There are ~700 weapon variations and ~500 armor variations.
- You receive wood blocks by destroying bushes, which add ranged weapon damage. This includes a Mage’s staff, increasing its damage and healing power.
- There are random missions generated daily, depicted on the map by crossed swords. They ‘give nice rewards’, and can involve clearing dungeons or defeating bosses. Rewards include a random item and platinum coins that are used for upgrading equipment.
- You get 2 skill points each time you level up.
- 5 points in a skill unlocks the next one.
- You can disable XP gain.
Travel & Pets
- Larger Ships and Airships may appear in a later update.
- Mounts require water; depicted by drops; refilled at ‘rivers’ and possibly other sources.
- There’s a Barkbeetle pet / mount.
- Pets respawn after ‘some time’.
- The game requires 700MB of RAM at full settings.
- A GTX 580 graphics card runs the game at 170fps.
- Private LAN servers work. The server app is Windows-based; there will be a Linux port.
- A Mac port is likely; a console port might happen, but nothing is planned.
- Game can be played fullscreen or in a window; will likely have windowed fullscreen.
- Wollay might experiment with the Oculus Rift.
- A colorblind option might be added later.
- There’s no benefit to using different races.
- You respawn at the second-nearest spawn point.
- Oceans have underwater caves; lakes will also have them eventually.
- Diving underwater currently doesn’t require oxygen, but might later.
- Weather may be added at some point.
- The game can technically be played first-person.
Remember the ‘(& More!)’ in the title? That’s this here dangly part at the bottom. I was going to make a separate news post for this, but we may as well thicken this post like a molasses paper jam. Here are some really interesting things hidden in Wollay’s blog comments:
Controls (Can Be Changed)
- Abilities can be used with left and right mouse button and keys 1,2,3,4,5.
- Q is the quick item.
- TAB opens the ring menu for quick item selection.
- E is for interaction. (opening doors, picking up items)
- F activates the lamp.
- G activates the special item. (e.g., hang glider)
- Movement is WASD.
- Roll is middle mouse button together with WASD.
- Shift is for sprinting.
- Control is for climbing.
- A fan asked, “Why don't you do what Mojang did with Minecraft, and release it cheap in Alpha, and get feedback and then update to beta and subsequently; the full version. It would make a lot of fans happy."
Wollay replied, “My plan is to do that.”
- “A weapon that is upgraded with more than 16 spirits of one type gets the name of that spirit. In this case an iron sword is upgraded with 32 ice spirits, so it becomes an "ice iron sword".”
Climate – Temperature & Humidity?
- “Yes, it will effect flora, fauna, monsters, NPCs.
- The next class will likely be a Paladin.
- “…there will be regular updates with new content and features like new playable races, classes etc.”
A few more:
There we go! One good ol' fashioned WUwW post. =)
Until next time, everyone...stick around the forum and keep on asking...what's up with Wollay?