Submitted at the last second, here's another "on-time" edition of WUwW!
Here we go, rapid-fire, a summary of last week's tweets!
- After customizing a weapon w/ cubes, you go back and edit.
- Weapons will be limited for number of cubes added, but will have a 'color picker'.
- Weapon Rarity uses stars: 0 = Normal, 1 = Magic, 2 = Rare, 3 = Epic, 4 = Legendary.
- Weapons don't degrade (no durability system).
- Loot is currently 'free-for-all', but will later have some kind of 'need/greed' system.
- Some biomes have creature strengths; deserts & jungles = strong, lavalands = very strong.
- There are approximately 100 unique creatures.
- Some creatures have fixed level ranges: Rabbits 1-3, Ogres 8-10, etc.
- Dungeon enemies respawn (and you respawn at the 2nd closest spawn point/"Shrine"/statue).
- If you run away, enemies will chase you for ~30 seconds before giving up.
- Offline singleplayer or privately-hosted multiplayer.
- You can hide the heads-up display.
- "There's no level cap, but you can't become infinitely strong."
- He's currently working on file formats and optimization.
- He's also "starting to prepare" the game for its eventual release.
- He's finishing up a 'non-public test build'.
- The game will probably keep the name Cube World.
Soon, my brethren, we shall ride together! How soon? Well, y'know, who knows. But...soon. Maybe.
Hey folks, been a long time since we’ve talked!
Well, no, that’s not true, we probably spoke recently. Point is, we haven’t had a WUwW post in over three months, and that’s borderline crazy pills. This one’s going to work just a little different in the interest of time: I won’t be including the original tweets. What I can do is comb through every tweet since the last WUwW, and highlight everything important. That sound okay? Good, great. Strap in, ‘cause all this info might blast a few blocks off your headcube.
- There are ~700 weapon variations and ~500 armor variations.
- You receive wood blocks by destroying bushes, which add ranged weapon damage. This includes a Mage’s staff, increasing its damage and healing power.
- There are random missions generated daily, depicted on the map by crossed swords. They ‘give nice rewards’, and can involve clearing dungeons or defeating bosses. Rewards include a random item and platinum coins that are used for upgrading equipment.
- You get 2 skill points each time you level up.
- 5 points in a skill unlocks the next one.
- You can disable XP gain.
Travel & Pets
- Larger Ships and Airships may appear in a later update.
- Mounts require water; depicted by drops; refilled at ‘rivers’ and possibly other sources.
- There’s a Barkbeetle pet / mount.
- Pets respawn after ‘some time’.
- The game requires 700MB of RAM at full settings.
- A GTX 580 graphics card runs the game at 170fps.
- Private LAN servers work. The server app is Windows-based; there will be a Linux port.
- A Mac port is likely; a console port might happen, but nothing is planned.
- Game can be played fullscreen or in a window; will likely have windowed fullscreen.
- Wollay might experiment with the Oculus Rift.
- A colorblind option might be added later.
- There’s no benefit to using different races.
- You respawn at the second-nearest spawn point.
- Oceans have underwater caves; lakes will also have them eventually.
- Diving underwater currently doesn’t require oxygen, but might later.
- Weather may be added at some point.
- The game can technically be played first-person.
Remember the ‘(& More!)’ in the title? That’s this here dangly part at the bottom. I was going to make a separate news post for this, but we may as well thicken this post like a molasses paper jam. Here are some really interesting things hidden in Wollay’s blog comments:
Controls (Can Be Changed)
- Abilities can be used with left and right mouse button and keys 1,2,3,4,5.
- Q is the quick item.
- TAB opens the ring menu for quick item selection.
- E is for interaction. (opening doors, picking up items)
- F activates the lamp.
- G activates the special item. (e.g., hang glider)
- Movement is WASD.
- Roll is middle mouse button together with WASD.
- Shift is for sprinting.
- Control is for climbing.
- A fan asked, “Why don't you do what Mojang did with Minecraft, and release it cheap in Alpha, and get feedback and then update to beta and subsequently; the full version. It would make a lot of fans happy."
Wollay replied, “My plan is to do that.”
- “A weapon that is upgraded with more than 16 spirits of one type gets the name of that spirit. In this case an iron sword is upgraded with 32 ice spirits, so it becomes an "ice iron sword".”
Climate – Temperature & Humidity?
- “Yes, it will effect flora, fauna, monsters, NPCs.
- The next class will likely be a Paladin.
- “…there will be regular updates with new content and features like new playable races, classes etc.”
A few more:
There we go! One good ol' fashioned WUwW post. =)
Until next time, everyone...stick around the forum and keep on asking...what's up with Wollay?
Remember this banner? We haven’t needed it for about 4 months,
but this is truly a week worthy of a What’s Up with Wollay update.
We’ve got a staggering 34+ tweets to summarize, so let’s get...
...wait, what, really? Wollay’s tweeting right now? Let's go!
Things We Learned or Reconfirmed
Gameplay & General
Clouds can’t be walked on…though it’s implied it may not always be that way.
Quests are still out for now, until Wollay can ‘maximize fun without them’.
Pets are sometimes mountable, and there will be no air mounts.
Stamina is used in 1/4 increments to dodge; it’s also slowly used to climb & hangglide; the bar is hidden when full.
Armor will sometimes influence Stamina regeneration, which takes 10 seconds to charge by default.
Items at higher levels will look different than low-level equipment.
Customization of your character involves choosing hair/face presets.
Weapons you can’t use can still be traded.
Vampires are enemies only.
Classes, Skills, and Leveling
Classes won’t be combined, but more classes will be added in the future.
Skills will be put into Skill Trees before release.
Specializations will have their own Skill Trees, with “passive and active abilities, similar to WoW (before Pandaria). :)”
Leveling currently has no limit, but it does slow down; a level cap is being considered.
Servers, Graphics, and Updates
Website is still unfinished; he has been focusing on the game because it’s “more fun than website programming.”
Graphics will generally require a ‘game-friendly graphics card’, and are rendered with triangle meshes.
Mods, Plugins, and Map Editors are not planned.
Servers can be online 24/7, but hosting 4-5 players in Co-Op; more for PvP is being looked into.
Servers will be run from a “console application. The admin can send commands to it from the client.”
Windows versions should run on XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
Mac version will be ported from the PC version sometime after release.
Updates are planned to be regular, featuring “bug fixes, new content, class changes etc.”
Video of the game’s progress is planned for when more sound effects and ability icons are added.
Congratulations to kbasten, qbicfeet, and DrZudsi for having their questions answered!
That's the rundown for this week, everyone. We'll see you again next time we ask What's Up with Wollay?!
- - -
Changes to Our Home
The forum is currently undergoing numerous updates by the staff. This includes changes you may have already noticed, like tweaked CSS code and new userbars. Behind the scenes, there are big things on the horizon…the biggest changes since the forum started. Stick around and keep an eye out for the eventual announcement.
…aaaand welcome back, everyone! We’ve got three weeks of info, so let’s dive in!
Things We Learned or Reconfirmed
Crafting has been Wollay’s latest project, partially shown here.
Wollay’s wife, Sarah (@pix_xie), has been added to the dev. team full-time as a ‘Voxel Artist’.
Mammoths & Penguins have been added to the game, shown here - - nice work, Sarah!
An In-Game Lexicon will be provided in-game,
Bows will be made with all types of materials, if there was any doubt to the contrary.
Spiribits will ‘not’ be the final name of the game…apparently.
Alpha Release might be a little further off than we thought, as there’s “still much to do”.
15 New Tweets
2 New Screenshots
Winter biome with a mammoth & penguins (left), and the early progress on a crafting system (right).
That’s what we’ve got for you today, covering the past three weeks of Cube World news.
Sorry that these updates have been…errr, “sporadic”, but hopefully you’ve missed them like I have.
Thanks for reading, Spiribitizens! =) Also, I should mention there's a…
*Contest! Circle every penguin in the latest screenshot,
post it here first, and win a silly, tiny prize on Steam!*
Good news, everyone! After a complete month of uncharacteristic silence, our cubic king has returned in glory!
No announcement of Alpha, but it is a glorious arrangement of 23 screenshots that portray his absence.
"I finally got some time to post updates again, so let's start with some screenshots of newly designed villages including fields and inns!"
I'm going to go ahead and post this immediately, then edit in some highlights. Stay tuned!
- - -
Farming - sunflowers, pumpkins, and an unidentified plant are shown; pumpkins recover +100 HP.
Inns - with beds, presumably functional.
Wooden Weapons - a large club fashioned out of a tree branch is seen.
Female Characters - possibly the first time we see distinctly-female characters.
May 4th, 23rd Day of The Great Silence
...wasn't there a guy developing a game we were all interested in?
Anyway, I suppose this silence serves as a fitting prelude
to the grand adventure that awaits us in Alpha.
So travel on, cherish the silence, and May the 4th be with you.
"There is no certainty; there is only adventure."